Saturday, October 1, 2016

Oscar Brand 1920-2016



I was very saddened to hear that Oscar Brand died last night at age 96. He was probably the last of the great folksingers of his generation.

Let's Sing Out, Oscar's TV program on Canadian TV in the early-1960s helped me find folk music.

I met Oscar a few times over the years and he was always very gracious and he was particularly encouraging in 1994 when I started hosting the Folk Roots/Folk Branches radio program on CKUT in Montreal. Oscar’s own radio program, Folksong Festival, aired weekly for 71 years on WNYC in New York – up until just last week.

Oscar Brand always had “something to sing about.”


Find me on Twitter. twitter.com/@mikeregenstreif

And on Facebook. facebook.com/mikeregenstreif

--Mike Regenstreif

No comments:

Post a Comment